Welcome to my New .Text Skin

Published 30 November 2004 14:34 by Derek Lakin
Filed Under:

Having seen the winners of the recent Style Master templates competition I instantly fell in love with Kemie Guaida's 1st place entry "Blu". With a bit of tweaking and a few custom controls I've managed to massage this into a two-column variant and then in to a .Text skin.

The Blogroll and Link Blog are both powered by del.icio.us, with the Blogroll being just those posts with the 'blogroll' tag. Both of these use my del.icio.us ASP.NET control. The Archives section and the tabs for Categories required some customisation in .Text as these are normally both displayed at the same time in the same style using the ArchiveLinks.ascx control, which clearly wouldn't fit in with the design.

The skin is a fixed width design for a resolution of 1024x768 or higher that works in both FireFox and Internet Explorer. I did have a version during testing that had a fluid 3 column layout, but I didn't like that as much. Realistically, to come down from 1024x768 I would have to return to Kemie's original 2 column layout and I don't think it would work as well given the height of the sidebar panels.

Your comments and thoughts are always welcomed.

Comments

# re: Welcome to my New .Text Skin @ 30 November 2004 15:48

# re: Welcome to my New .Text Skin @ 30 November 2004 20:45

Very cool skin, Derek. You've done a good job implementing it too.

PaulWatsonTru

# re: Welcome to my New .Text Skin @ 02 December 2004 14:16

Nice looking skin.

Dave KekishTr

# Digital Thoughts .Text Skin @ 22 December 2004 01:24

# Digital Thoughts .Text Skin - Derek Lakin @ 22 December 2004 01:46

# RoudyBob Likes My Skin @ 22 December 2004 13:15

# RoudyBob Likes My Skin @ 22 December 2004 13:16

# RoudyBob Likes My Skin @ 22 December 2004 14:13

# OneNote Skin for .Text @ 04 January 2005 16:04

# OneNote Skin for .Text @ 04 January 2005 16:05

# re: Welcome to my New .Text Skin @ 22 February 2005 09:12

Cool! Nice to see the skin in action, you did a great job of adapting it! :)

Kemie Truehtt

# re: Welcome to my New .Text Skin @ 22 February 2005 15:24

I'm really glad you like it. I'm actually just finishing off a port to Community Server :: Blogs, which I'll be upgrading to as soon as the .Text to CS :: Blogs update tool is ready.

Derek Lakin