Welcome to Community Server Sign in | Join | Help

Digital Thoughts

Personal musings on life, the universe and everything as well as some commentary on my software and digital graphics
CS 1.1 Upgrade
After a bit of fighting and a few heart stopping moments* I've managed to upgrade my installation to CS 1.1.

Those of you who actually visit the site (rather than read my posts in an aggregator) will have noticed that my old BlueCurve skin is not in use any more. This is for two reasons: 1. The upgrade to CS 1.1 breaks most 1.0 skins and 2. I'm bored of it now and ready for something new!

Just a few pointers for anyone about to embark on the upgrade: Make sure you backup your database first. Look for orphanded users in aspnet_membership, aspnet_users and cs_UserProfile. These three table should all contain the same users. If they don't then the upgrade will screw up your database and you'll be left with an error about anonymous users.

*I forgot to backup my database before I upgraded. The upgrade went ahead and partly failed the first time leaving me with a completely unusable site!

Posted: 22 June 2005 12:15 by Derek Lakin
Filed under: ,

Comments

Jonas Antonsson said:

Funny - I upgraded my CS last night and fumbled with my DB in the exact same way. I forgot to backup the DB before upgrading! This is a big "nono" and I am surprised at myself. Years of experience came to nothing as I hit the "Run Query" button and realized what I had done.

And oh, I also changed the skin of my blog. Must have something to do with upgrading that makes one "mad like that"... I was using the skin you're using now until last night.
# June 25, 2005 10:42

Derek Lakin said:

Thanks for dropping by Jonas.

I'm just the same. Every now and again I make a stupid mistake that I really shouldn't. Fortunately my usual professionalism has meant that a standard file system backup had an earlier database file stowed away :D

Watch this space for an all new skin for my blog :D
# June 27, 2005 10:21

Alistair Young said:

I see the data-based archive problem you fixed back in:

http://blog.salamandersoftware.biz/archive/2005/03/03/428.aspx

is still around. (I guess it's back to the source code again, and recompile.)
# July 4, 2005 12:46

Derek Lakin said:

Thanks Alistair.

I hadn't noticed :blush: I guess the short term answer is to download the source and recompile. Longer term I should let Telligent know and get it included in the official code base.
# July 5, 2005 08:53
New Comments to this post are disabled